Thursday 20 June 2013

Would you get your own job if you applied for it again today?

It may be apocryphal but I once heard that everyone at Microsoft has to apply for his or her own job every year. It’s supposed to stop employees getting complacent and make sure that everyone stays ‘on top of their game’. From what I understand, everyone is on a sort of rolling contract and if they don’t get through the yearly interview, they’re out.

It’s not a policy that would attract me to a company, but I bet it gets Microsoft exactly the sort of people it wants to employ.

I started thinking about Microsoft again this week when I was shown the ad for my 'replacement'. I recently resigned from a part-time job I’d been doing for the best part of eight years. Granted, it had changed somewhat over those years but, on the whole, I was still doing a similar role to the one I’d ‘won’ back then.

On reading the ad, I couldn't help wondering how many of us are 'qualified’ to do our own jobs. If we had to apply for them again today,would we get them? We might be okay within the first, say, year to eighteen months, but how would we fair after a few years? Or, in my case, eight? The more I read the ad the more I realised that my chances were very slim indeed!

My employer is using my departure to get someone ‘better’. Someone with more e-marketing skills, someone who clearly understands acronyms (the ad was peppered with them) and someone who would do my job for a lot less than I was earning! Not only would I not get my own job, at that salary, I’m not sure I’d want it!

I remember years ago, a boss saying to me “you can never keep your best people”, which, in many ways, is true. By their very nature, the ‘best’ will always want to move on. But equally, while people leaving companies causes a hiccup, to begin with at least, it usually works out for the best for everyone. The former employee feels positive having made the ‘right decision’, ‘moved on’ and ‘grown’ in some way or other and the employer gets the chance to recruit a newer/younger/fresher/cheaper model.

That’s all well and good for the ambitious, but what about the people who are comfortable in the old job, those who do an okay job and sort of ‘coast’ along year after year? They might not need to go so far as applying for their own job every year, but it wouldn’t do them any harm to re-educate themselves every now and then and do a bit of self-promotion.

Right, where did I put the details on that ‘digital marketing social engagement customer touchpoint multi media platforms’ training course?



No comments:

Post a Comment