Wednesday 5 June 2013

Where can I buy a 500 watt lightbulb?

I am sitting at my desk with an overhead light (fitted with four 50 watt halogen spotlights) and a desk lamp (with one of those 60-watt-equivalent, low-energy, honestly-you-will-get-used-to-it lightbulbs) and I'm still struggling to see.

Okay, I admit that my eyes are 'not as good as they used to be' and that I am wearing my glasses more often these days and that my computer screen is not the world's largest... However, I am absolutely certain (and I don't think I am alone here) that if we could still buy those classic, bayonet fitting, 100 watt, hang from the ceiling lightbulbs, we'd all be able to see a whole lot better!

I mean, I'm all for energy saving (especially when it leads to money saving) and 'mood' lighting (when I want to delude myself that my skin still has some natural collagen left in it) but come on, I would like to be able to take up the hem of my trousers without stabbing myself every few minutes or using three feet of cotton because it takes me ten minutes to thread the needle. There should be some some sort of EU legislation that says that the eye of a needle must be at least three times the dimension of a piece of thread!

Ooh, I sound so middle-aged. My 25 year-old-daughter doesn't seem to have any problems reading shampoo instructions or coping with the instructions at the self-service checkout. But if we're all going to live until we are 90, then those clever scientists/designers/entrepreneurs/gadget people are going to have to start catering for ageing eyes. Ageing eyes with DISPOSABLE INCOME.

My generation is going to be the first ever DEMANDING OAPs. We are not going to be content to sit in the corner with a paper hat and a glass of sherry at Christmas. We are not going to leave everything to the children and downsize into a two-bed bungalow. And we are most certainly not going to 'go gentle into that good night'. We are going to 'rage, rage against the dying of the light'! (Apologies to DT.)

So I repeat, does anyone know where I can buy a 500 watt lightbulb? Oh go on then, a low energy but just as bright 500 watt lightbulb?


No comments:

Post a Comment