Monday 17 June 2013

The 5 most common grammar mistakes – and how to avoid them!

Don’t get caught out by common grammar mistakes. Check the following and avoid embarrassment – and costly reprints.




1. It’s and its

It’s only every means it is. Its means belonging to it.
Examples: “I’m so glad it’s Friday”, “the company is out of touch with its customers”
How to remember?
Think of its like his, hers, yours, ours and theirs. You’d never stick an apostrophe in his or hers would you?

2. Complement and compliment

Complement means to complete or add to in a way that enhances or improves. Compliment means to praise or give without charge.
Examples: “Hollandaise sauce complements fish”, “we have a full complement of staff”, “pay someone a compliment”, “have it with my compliments”, “complimentary tickets”
How to remember?
Think of complement with an ‘e’ as ‘to complete’ – also with an ‘e’.

3. I and me

Use I before the verb; use me after the verb.
Examples: “John and I are going to the meeting with Bob” and “Bob is coming to the meeting with John and me.”
How to remember?
Take the other person’s name out. You’d never say “Me is going to the meeting with Bob” or “Bob is coming to the meeting with I”!

4. Passed and past

Past has loads of meanings; passed is only the past tense of pass.
Examples: “My house is just past the garage”, “we passed my house on the way”, “that was in the past”, “it’s almost half past five”, “he passed the ball past the goalkeeper”, “I want to run the report past him first”
How to remember?
Use passed when you’re talking about someone doing something. Use past for just about everything else!

5. Which and that

Use that when you are talking about a particular object. Use which when it’s just a bit of extra information.
Examples: “The house that has a green door is up for sale.” (Meaning that it’s not any old house up for sale, only the one with the green door) “The house, which has a green door, is up for sale.” (Meaning the house is up for sale and it just happens to have a green door)
How to remember?
Sorry, no magic tip for remembering this one. You just need to know that that determines what you’re talking about whereas which isn’t really important.





No comments:

Post a Comment